Wednesday, March 3, 2010

God's Bison - Saturday 27th Feb

The God's were definitely against me today. Hot at over 35Celsius, strong swirling Easterly winds that had blown twigs, leaves, branches and nuts all over the road and 100km of very steep hilly terrain.

The first warning sign was I left my helmet and gloves behind. managed to borrow a helmet.
The second sign was the sudden and urgent call of nature.
The third sign was all the other riders riding off into the distance after the first climb.
How did they climbe so well. It was like I had the brakes dragging. 30km in and I was really struggling but determined to do the ride.
After I reached half way - the point of no shortcut return, I reached for my Saltsticks and realised I had left them behind. Now I was merely surviving.
I would not pedal on the downhills and barely make the crest of hills in the lowest gear.

With 30km to go I was getting really dizzy and had a really high pulse so called it a day. I caught a taxis back to the start/finish line and dragged myself home. Recovery was three Powerades, two Saltsticks, carbs then protein, then a long rest in a very cold and air conditioned house.

Perhaps switching to the 50km ride was the smart thing to do, but was not realised. I will get fitter and stronger and hopefully complete this ride next time it is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment