Monday, March 29, 2010

Freeway Blast

I missed the usual Saturday ride due to cleaning up after the big storm. We were able to dry out the whole garage and contents. The swimming pool is now useable after 4 hours of cleaning.

Sunday morning, after a sleep in from a heavy night, I left home about 9:30am for a ride south on the Freeway cycle path to Baldivis, or the Safety Bay Road turn. About 43Km from Perth.

Some say it is boring, but once passed Murdoch train station, it is all non stop cycle path.
There was quite a strong Easterly headwind this morning and with the undualtions in the path, made for an excellent interval training session.
The interchanges are about 3-5km apart and they all have a rise up to their underpass. I was pleasantly surprised I could pull a 7 or 8, second chain ring, up these inclines. This was my best ever and it was well within my comfort zone - all in all a great training run.

I decided to take it easy on the way back and enjoy the tailwind. I was cruising passed a guy on a mountain bike (slick tyres, road gearing). He matched speed and I eased to let him have a draft (what little there is) and the chat started. Really nice guy, so had a good exchange.
Before I knew it we were back to Canning Bridge. then the Narrows and coffee.
I must get a bike computer as he could read out speed, average speed, cadence etc. I am pretty sure this will help with TT.

I was wearing new sunnies and got sunburnt on my upper nose and top eyelids. God it hurts and I have never been burnt on my eyelids before. People only notice when I blink. :)
I really miscalculated the sun strength today. I hope it comes to nothing and will try to avoid it again.

Distance 86km and feel good for the 80km TT in one week.

No comments:

Post a Comment