Saturday, June 19, 2010

Only one ride this week

A huge storm on Tuesday and Thursday I couldn't get my helmet on. I had a skin cancer removed from my forehead and it was pretty painful. Also severe ankle pain due to extra assessments by surgeons (30 year old motorbike injury requires knife work).
I am looking down the barrel of ankle fusion to reduce pain. The sooner the better as after cycling the pain is incredibly severe. That means I am off the bike for 3 months and will miss the PAP and start of the ATTA season.
Around the river with the freo wheelers.
I was thoroughly enjoying the roll ons and was mid pack in all the climbs.
Rob punctured at Ardross so stopped to help and keep company.
We shortcutted to Berwick and Canning to pick up the group after a 10 minute wait.
The firefighters were closing the Bunnings buildings as a water main had broke and Bunnings was flooded in waist deep water.

Was doing fine until the last climb out of Cottosloe. I was only 100m off the group but could not catch them on the sprint into Port Beach. I had spun up my highest gear which equates to about 45km/h.
Average for the ride 33km/h
Geoff in Group 2 punctured 3 times.
Ride home was good fun with about 6 riders.

2 comments:

  1. I've trolled back through your blog but can't see any reference to what caused the ankle trouble, care to enlighten us?

    BTW just found your blog via the Bicycle.net.au forums. The bent you ride certainly gives you a laid back riding position. I'm riding the Greenspeed X5 tadpole trike with a 30degree angle on the seat which I find to be quite comfortable, early days yet as I've only had it a month. Maybe 1 reason you don't get alot of recumbent riding partners is your average speed. I used to be able to do those speeds on an upright bike (BTW what does DF stand for I saw it mentioned somewhere in regard to regular bikes) but as I haven't ridden anything in over 10 years it will be some time before I'm back to anything resembling fitness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and thanks for commenting. A crushed ankle from a motorbike accident 30 years ago. Fusing the ankle joint and leaving the other joints should reduce if not eliminate the severe pain. DF = Diamond Frame or standard road bike. You have a nice ride. X5 would also be my choice in trikes. Maybe I will see you at a Time Trial event some day. Hill riding is the most effective training to get upto speed on a recumbent. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete