Friday, July 18, 2014

Skidding to a Sudden Stop

I got rid of the flu  in about a week, the weather fined up and I have been riding every lovely, sunny morning along the cycle paths of the Swan River.

For some reason in one corner I tucked my left shoulder into the back of the seat and zoom... around I went quickly, smoothly and with plenty of speed.
Of course I experimented with this body position for turns and wondered why it allowed faster turns in tight corners. How fast could I go?

Well like all good bike riders I found the limit this morning... at the end of my elbow.

Coming into a downhill 90 degree turn I set up for the shoulder tuck turn. Went in wide without trailing any rear brake, hit the apex and exited wide. Without warning the rear wheel let go just after the apex, slid on the quick release lever and just before I came to a complete stop my left elbow hit the deck and then my bum. The left pedal surround was ground down a little and the handle bars were askew.

I think the technique works but I found the limit of rear wheel traction this time. By tucking my shoulder into the seat I must be leaning the bike more. Perhaps it is allowing the front to over steer slightly and unload the rear. It might be a way to keep corner speed up but I will take care to not go in too hot in future.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment